by The Culinistas
Holiday Hazelnut Cookies
A perfect post-holiday treat or cookie swap pick! In this recipe, browning the butter adds depth of flavor and hazelnuts add crunch and earthiness. The chewy texture is paired well a glass of oat milk or a hot latte.
Yields 24 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp allspice
1½ tsp salt
1½ cups turbinado sugar
1 cup hazelnuts, toasted, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350º.
2. Make the Brown Butter: In a small saucepan, heat butter and whisk until fully caramelized to a dark brown color. Transfer the brown butter to a large mixing bowl and cool to room temperature.
3. Mix the Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, allspice and salt. Set aside for later.
4. Mix the Wet Ingredients: In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cooled brown butter and sugar. Using paddle attachment, cream the mixture until it is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until fully emulsified. While the mixer is on low speed, add the dry ingredients and hazelnuts until the dough forms.
5. Portion the cookies into 3 tablespoon balls each. Bake the cookies on a parchment-lined sheet pan for 12-15 minutes.