by The Culinistas
Father’s Day is coming up and we’re prepping with a big ol’ bowl of our Little Tomatoes & Orzo. It’s the perfect dish if you’re planning a family picnic in the park or on the beach, to have in the fridge after a match of doubles with dad, or to fuel a Scrabble marathon. Pro tip: let Pops win.
Tomatoes get slow roasted with sumac until they’re bursting with flavor. Add in the orzo, walnuts, fresh herbs, parm and an umami-packed tomato-anchovy dressing and you’ve got the Father’s Day dish of the year.
And if you don’t feel like cooking? Hire a Culinista to handle your Father’s Day fare.
Little Tomatoes & Orzo
– Slicing trick: Place the tomatoes between two deli lids, press down, and slice the knife between the lids, horizontally, through the center of the tomatoes. Dad hack approved!
– Add enough dressing so that the pasta does not dry out.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 30 mins
Serves 4 to 6
1½ lb cherry tomatoes, sliced in half crosswise
¼ cup + 3 TB olive oil, divided
1 TB sumac, plus more for garnish
6 oz orzo
6 anchovy fillets, minced
½ cup walnuts, roasted, chopped
¾ cup parsley leaves & stems, roughly chopped
½ cup parmesan, shaved, plus more for garnish
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss the tomatoes with 3 TB oil, sumac, salt & pepper. Roast until the tomatoes are cooked down (but not hard like sun-dried tomatoes), 20-25 mins. Set aside to cool. Reserve the leftover juices at the bottom of the baking sheet for the vinaigrette.
3. In a pot of salted, boiling water, cook the orzo, 6-8 mins. Drain, shock with cold water & transfer to a large bowl.
4. Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, whisk reserved tomato juices & anchovies. While whisking, stream in remaining ¼ cup oil. Season with salt & pepper.
5. In the pasta bowl, mix in roasted tomatoes, walnuts, parsley & parmesan. Dress to taste.
6. Transfer to a shallow bowl; garnish with sumac, parsley & parmesan.
Sumac never goes out of style. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.