by The Culinistas
Around these parts we believe in making every meal count. That means dishes that are nutritious enough to keep us feeling good without compromising on flavor. Our Green Chili Steak is the perfect example of how we are continually raising the, ahem, stakes when it comes to what’s on your dinner table.
Charred poblano and serrano peppers get blended with cilantro and lemon for a sauce you’ll want to put on just about everything. Here, we’re serving it with perfectly seared steak. Enjoy with a few of your favorite Culinistas veg sides, on top of whatever seasonal leafy greens look good at the market, or laid over any grains you have in the pantry for a DIY bowl situation.
Green Chili Steak
– Test the spiciness of your serrano chili by blending only half first, then adding more to taste.
– No need to pick the cilantro leaves from the stems; the stems can be blended in the sauce.
– The sauce should be acid forward in flavor.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Serves 2 to 4
1 medium poblano chili, seeds removed
1 serrano chili, cut in half lengthwise
4 cloves garlic, smashed
4 TB olive oil, divided
1 cup cilantro
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB lemon zest
½ tsp onion powder
1 (1 lb) NY strip steak
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a medium pan over medium-high heat, char the poblano, serrano & garlic on all sides in 2 TB oil, 5-6 mins. Set aside & allow to cool for 10 mins.
2. In a high speed blender, blend charred mixture, cilantro, lemon juice, zest & onion powder until smooth.
3. Heat the pan over high heat for 5-7 mins. While the pan is heating, heavily season the steak with salt & pepper. Add remaining 2 TB oil & sear to a dark brown color, 3-4 minutes on each side for medium rare doneness. Rest for 5 mins & slice. Serve the steak with the sauce on the side.
Onion Powder is a chef’s secret. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.