by The Culinistas
We’re on a salmon kick this summer and holy smokes is this Smoky Salmon with Summer Squash the answer to our prayers. It’s creamy, it’s smoky, and it’s packed with veg. It also makes for a great straight-outta-the-fridge leftovers lunch.
It’s a squash trifecta: Grilled salmon tops a (1) stew of summer squash then gets finished with a cool and (2) crisp squash slaw — all served with a creamy yogurt dip on the slide laced with even more (3) squash. Call it a holy trinity.
Smoky Salmon with Summer Squash
– Any summer squash will work: pattypan, cousa, yellow & green zucchini, zephyr, eight ball or any other varieties you find at the farm stand.
– If grilling indoors, season the salmon with urfa after it’s been grilled for a smoky flavor.
Prep Time 25 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
3 large yellow squash, divided
3 large zucchini, divided
¾ cup olive oil, divided
1 TB + 1 tsp urfa, divided, plus more for garnish
1 TB + 1 tsp onion powder, divided
1½ tsp cumin, ground, divided
1 cup whole fat Greek yogurt
¼ cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped, divided
3 TB lemon juice, divided
3 TB lemon zest, divided
6 (5 oz) salmon fillets
1. Make the stewed summer squash: Cut 2 yellow squash & 2 zucchini into ½ inch thick slices. In a dutch oven over medium low heat, add ¼ cup oil. Add squash & zucchini, stir occasionally; cook until tender & golden brown, 30 mins. Reduce to low heat & season with 1 TB urfa, 1 TB onion powder, 1 tsp cumin, salt & pepper. Cook until spices are toasted, 3-5 mins.
2. Make the yogurt sauce: Mince ½ remaining 1 yellow squash & ½ remaining 1 zucchini. Mix with 2 TB olive oil, remaining 1 tsp onion powder, remaining ½ tsp cumin, yogurt, ¼ cup cold water, 2 TB parsley, 1 TB lemon juice & 2 TB zest. Season with salt & pepper.
3. Prepare a grill for medium high heat.
4. Use ¼ cup of oil to coat the salmon fillets & season with salt & pepper. Grill to medium doneness, 10-12 mins.
5. Make the slaw: Thinly slice the remaining ½ yellow squash & ½ zucchini. In a mixing bowl, toss with remaining 2 TB oil, remaining 1 tsp urfa, remaining 2 TB parsley, remaining 2 TB lemon juice & remaining 1 TB zest. Season with salt & pepper.
6. On a large serving platter, evenly spread out the stewed summer squash, place the grilled salmon on top, shingle the slaw over the salmon & garnish with more urfa. Serve the yogurt sauce on the side or dolloped on top of the slaw.
Urfa, Onion Powder & Cumin are a chef’s secret. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.1