by The Culinistas
The pumpkins are out, the leaves are changing, and it’s time to decide whether you’re going to be #FreeBritney for Halloween or Dr. Fauci. Once you find the perfect costume for your trick-or-treat extravaganza, it’s time to work on the perfect (and perfectly spooky) menu.
Enter: Avocado Deviled Eggs. Here, we take a classic (because a party without Deviled Eggs is just plain scary) and, ahem, dress them up with a healthy dose of avocado. Top them with a little pickled shallot and sumac and these things will disappear faster than a ghost. The only thing to worry about is which cocktail to fill the cauldron with. (We can help with that! Drop us a line and we will recommend a few of our favorite fall libations.)
Avocado Deviled Eggs
– Use only ripe avocados to make the filling. If the only avocados available are rock hard, store with a banana in a brown paper bag in a dark & dry place. The ethylene gas released from the banana will speed up the avocado ripening process to 1-2 days.
– Taste filling with egg white to ensure the filling is seasoned well.
– If you don’t have piping bags, use a plastic bag. Cut off the tip of a corner, load avocado filling into bag & carefully squeeze into the eggs.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Serves 6 to 8
1 small red beet, grated
¼ cup + 1 TB champagne vinegar, divided
½ tsp cayenne
2 shallots, thinly sliced into rings
2 medium avocados
½ cup watercress, plus more for garnish
2 TB olive oil
Sumac, for garnish
1. Add eggs to a pot with 1-2 inches of water; bring to a boil & cover, 10 mins. Strain & run the eggs under cold water until cool. Peel & cut the eggs in half lengthwise; discard the yolks.
2. In a medium pot, bring beet, ¼ cup vinegar, cayenne & ¼ cup water to a boil; strain over shallots in a small bowl; set aside to cool.
3. Make the avocado filling: In a blender, blend remaining 1 TB champagne vinegar, avocados, watercress & oil.
4. Use a piping bag to fill avocado into each egg white; garnish with pickled shallots & sumac.
Cayenne & Sumac are a chef’s secret weapons. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.