Couscous & Apples
by The Culinistas
This couscous dish is an ideal side for a simply grilled chicken. Cube it for the kiddies and serve sliced for yourself. A drizzle of extra rosemary oil will leave everyone licking their lips.
Serves 4 to 6
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
4 Gala apples, cores removed, chopped
1/3 cup + 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp cayenne
1 cup pearled couscous
3 sprigs rosemary
6 oz sunchokes
3 TB apple cider vinegar
¾ cup sliced almonds, toasted
Salt, to taste
Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1. For the Roasted Apples: Preheat oven to 350º. In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. Lay the apples on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast until soft and caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
2. For the Couscous & Apples: In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the couscous al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Strain and rinse until completely cooled. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a small saucepan, add oil and rosemary. Fry the rosemary over medium-high heat, 5 to 6 minutes. Strain the oil through a fine mesh strainer. Transfer the fried rosemary on a paper towel-lined plate, season with salt, cool, crumble and set aside. Let the oil cool to room temperature.
4. Using a mandolin, thinly slice the sunchokes. Toss the sunchokes in apple cider vinegar to prevent oxidizing.
5. To the bowl of couscous, add the sunchokes, roasted apples, crumbled rosemary, almonds, a few spoonfuls of rosemary oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a serving platter and serving at room temperature.