by The Culinistas
Cauliflower & Quinoa Salad
Full of vibrant spices, sour dried cherries, and crisp watercress, this cauliflower based dish is the perfect lunch, snack, or side for any occasion. Buy quinoa and cherries from the bulk section of the market, and if you have extra, put cherries in oatmeal and save plain quinoa for adding to other simply prepared vegetables. Use any extra watercress for a simple salad or wilted in scrambled eggs.
Serves 4 to 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
⅓ cup quinoa
½ cup olive oil, divided
½ head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 teaspoon urfa chile (optional)
1 teaspoon cumin, ground, divided
½ teaspoon cayenne, divided
½ cup capers, drained
1 cup watercress, loosely packed
¼ cup dried sour cherries, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon peel, julienned
¼ teaspoon onion powder
Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a small saucepan, bring red quinoa and ⅔ cup water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside and let cool completely.
2. In a large saute pan, heat ¼ cup oil. Mix cauliflower with urfa, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Saute cauliflower until tender and golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Set aside.
3. In the same pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add capers and fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the capers to a paper towel-lined plate.
4. In a mixing bowl, mix quinoa, fried capers, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, watercress, sour cherries, lemon juice, peel and onion powder. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer the cauliflower to a large platter and top with watercress and quinoa salad.