by The Culinistas
Breaking The Fast
There’s something that much sweeter about a kugel on Yom Kippur. Sure, fasting from sunrise to sunset will make anything taste sweeter, but kugel, since oft exclusively enjoyed during the high holidays always feels like a warm hug from mom. Here at The Culinistas, we appreciate both sweet and savory kugels. Our savory kugel uses seasonal parsnips as a creamy base with carrots and raisins to add a pop of sweetness. Developed in our test kitchen with kugel intel from all the moms and grandmas in our contacts, this recipe is a break fast hit!
Savory Carrot Kugel
Serves 8 to 12
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
8 (3 pounds) large parsnips, peeled, chopped
¾ cup olive oil, divided
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp onion powder
¼ tsp cayenne
4 (1 pound) large carrots, peeled, chopped
1 sweet onion, peeled, chopped
2 cups raisins
1 ½ cups unsalted butter, divided: 1 cup melted & ½ cup cubed
6 large eggs
Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Roast the parsnips: On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss carrots with ¼ cup oil, allspice, onion powder, cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Roast until the parsnips are tender, 35 minutes.
- Sauté the carrot mixture: In a heavy-bottomed pan, heat ¼ cup oil. Sweat carrots and onions until the onions are translucent, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add raisins. Once the raisins are warmed all the way through, 2 minutes, turn off heat. Set aside.
- Cook the egg noodles: In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the egg noodles, 7 to 9 minutes. Strain the noodles, rinse with cold water and drain.
- Make the parsnip sauce: In the base of a high-speed blender, add the roasted parsnips plus 1 cup of water and blend smooth.
- While the motor is running, slowly stream in the remaining ¼ cup of oil, then the melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- While the motor is running, add one egg at a time until fully incorporated.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the carrot mixture, egg noodles and parsnip sauce. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a greased 9 x 13 pan. Dot the top of the dish with the cubes of butter and bake for 45 minutes. Let the kugel bake rest 20 minutes and serve while warm.