by The Culinistas
The Ultimate Glowing Skin Salad
Hot off our Glowing Skin Menu is this recipe for a citrus packed Shaved Broccoli Salad. It’s delicious as a stand alone lunch, an accompaniment to grilled salmon or chicken, or an addition to your BBQ menu when you’re looking for a crunchy dish that’s not a slaw. Broccoli and orange are loaded with Vitamin C that help create and stabilize collagen, the connective tissue that makes skin bouncy and supple. Broccoli bats a double, also delivering a dose of Vitamin E, which helps to prevent sun damage. You’ll find Essential Fatty Acids in cashews, preventing dryness and skin atrophy. All in all, it is the salad skincare professionals dream of, in fact, five of them made it a selection when we asked them to pick!
Shaved Broccoli Salad
Prep Time 20 Mins
1 navel orange
½ cup cashews, roasted, chopped, divided
3 TB chives, chopped, divided, plus more for garnish
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB lemon zest
1 tsp urfa, plus more for garnish
½ tsp cayenne
3 TB olive oil
1 head broccoli, thinly sliced
2 medium kohlrabi, peeled, thinly sliced
1. Supreme the orange & transfer the segments to a small bowl. Squeeze out & reserve orange juice from the orange scraps in another small bowl.
2. Make the dressing: In a high speed blender, blend the reserved orange juice, ¼ cup cashews, 2 TB chives, lemon juice & zest, urfa & cayenne. While the motor is running, stream in the oil. Season with salt & pepper; adjust the thickness with 1-2 TB water.
3. In a large bowl, mix supremed orange, broccoli & kohlrabi; dress to taste with cashew dressing.
4. Transfer the salad to a serving platter & garnish with remaining ¼ cup cashews, remaining 1 TB chives & urfa.
- If kohlrabi is not available, wonderful subs are radish, jicama or celery root.
- Supreming: With a sharp paring knife, cut a ¼ inch slice off the top & bottom of the orange. Set the orange on a flat end so it stands like a barrel. Follow the curve of orange, slicing off the peel & pith in 1 inch strips all the way around. Slice out the segments without the membranes by setting the orange on its side & cutting toward the center, along the segment membrane. Slice along the adjacent membrane until the cuts meet, releasing the segment.
- Peel, thinly slice & use the stalks of broccoli.
- Dressing should be a thick & creamy consistency.