Reverent for Rosemary
TFW you can’t stop smelling your hands…. It’s either the residual chocolate left after gobbling up our fudge brownies or after lathering up with Le Labo products. That’s why we partnered with the brand to surprise and delight our NYC clients with their luxurious Hinoki hand soap.
For the uninitiated, Le Labo’s Hinoki scent is inspired by the Buddhist temples of Mount Koya in Japan which all carry the mystical, profusely warm, and mesmerizing scent of the hinoki trees from the surrounding forest. Their no-frills, thick-textured liquid Hinoki hand soap uses rosemary leaf to soothe so we thought to pair it with a hearty dish that uses rosemary oil & woodsy sunchokes to evoke the hilltops (see below for recipe). What’s more, toasted almonds provide further warming notes in the kitchen. Pro tip: use a mandoline to slice the sunchokes; they will be thin, crispy & absorb a maximal amount of those rosemary notes.
Couscous & Apples with Shaved Sunchokes & Rosemary Oil
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
Serves 4 to 6
5 TB olive oil
¼ cup rosemary
2 pink lady apples, chopped
¼ cup + 3 TB olive oil, divided
½ tsp sumac
¼ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp onion powder
½ cup pearled couscous
5 small sunchokes, scrubbed clean, thinly sliced
2 TB apple cider vinegar
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted, plus more for garnish
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Make the rosemary oil: In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Gently add rosemary & stir. When the oil is no longer bubbling, transfer the fried rosemary to a paper towel-lined plate & season with salt. Reserve rosemary oil.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toss apples with 2 TB rosemary oil, sumac, cayenne, onion powder, salt & pepper. Roast until soft, 15 mins. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss sunchokes with apple cider vinegar. Season with salt & pepper.
- In a pot of salted, boiling water, cook couscous until tender, 8-10 mins. Strain; cool in a large bowl & drizzle with 1 TB rosemary oil.
- Add roasted apples, couscous, sunchokes, almonds & remaining 3 TB rosemary oil.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl; garnish with fried rosemary.
Sumac, onion powder & cayenne are a holy trinity of spice that we sell in our set. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.