by The Culinistas
February 14 is right around the corner and our Think Pink Salad is at the heart of our special Valentine’s Day menu. Dates, grapefruit and feta are the perfect ménage in this bright and flavorful dish. Love always begins with loving yourself so whether you’re dining with friends or lovers or having a lovely evening for one, this salad will get you in the mood.
Pro-tip: Master your inner chef by learning to supreme. With a sharp paring knife, slice off the top & bottom of the grapefruit. Following the curve of grapefruit, slice off the peel & pith all the way around. Slice out the segments by setting the grapefruit on its side & cutting toward the center along the segment membrane. Slice along the adjacent membrane until the cuts meet, releasing the segment. Voila!
Think Pink Salad
Prep time: 20 mins
Serves 4 to 6
¼ cup dates, pitted, chopped
1 tsp sumac, plus more for garnish
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup radishes, thinly sliced
¼ cup feta, crumbled
¼ chives, cut into batons, plus more
1 medium head radicchio, chopped
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a small bowl, soak dates in warm water, 10 mins; strain water.
2. Supreme the grapefruit & transfer the segments to a small bowl. Squeeze out & reserve juice from the grapefruit scraps in another small bowl.
3. Make the date dressing: In a high speed blender, blend dates, grapefruit juice & sumac. While the motor is running, stream in oil; season with salt & pepper.
4. In a large bowl, mix supremed grapefruit, radishes, feta, chives & radicchio; dress to taste.
5. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl & garnish with sumac & chives.
Check out our eComm shop to stock up on sumac.