by The Culinistas
Take it from Elvis: Sometimes you just can’t help falling in love with a dish. That’s exactly how we feel about our Healthy Chicken Tenders.
We put extra tender love and care into this recipe by subbing rolled oats for breadcrumbs, and serving them up with a honey-dijon dipping sauce that’s got us all shook up. Put another way: These tenders aren’t just meant for the kids — they’re fit for a king.
- For chicken strips perfectly golden in color, use new oil in between batches of pan frying. Discard hot oil in a heatproof bowl & wipe the pan clean before each round.
- Tenders two ways: Get creative! Repurpose your chicken tenders for an over-the-top Waldorf salad, the perfect chicken parm sandwich, or Sunday morning waffles for the perfect weekend breakfast pick-me-up.
Healthy Chicken Tenders
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 30 mins
Serves 4 to 6
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup fine cornmeal
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin, ground
6 TB olive oil, divided
¾ cup dijon mustard, divided
4 chicken breasts,
boneless, skinless, cut into strips
¼ cup honey
1 tsp black pepper, ground
Salt, to taste
1. In a high speed blender, blend oats to mimic a coarse breadcrumb consistency. Add cornmeal, onion powder & cumin; pulse until the mixture is fully incorporated but still coarse. Transfer the breading to a shallow dish.
2. In a large pan, heat 2 TB oil over medium heat.
3. While the oil heats, bread the chicken: In a large bowl, mix ½ cup mustard & chicken strips to coat all sides, then roll the chicken strips in the breading.
4. Pan fry the chicken to a golden brown, 3-4 mins per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate & season with salt. Repeat the process using new oil until all chicken strips are cooked.
5. Make the sauce: In a small bowl, mix remaining ¼ cup mustard, honey & black pepper. Transfer to a small serving bowl & serve on the side.
Onion Powder & Cumin never go out of style. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.