by The Culinistas
It’s time to break out of your shell and spice things up — and we’ve got just the trick: Calabrian chilies. In our Calabrian Egg Salad, we’re swapping in EVOO for the mayo, throwing in some peppery watercress, and turning up the flavor with our favorite chilies (sorry, grandma! We still love you, promise.) Then, we scoop it all up with our favorite crusty bread or fresh lettuces like bibb or butter.
– 6-minute eggs are jammy (just the way we like them). If you want a firmer egg salad, boil for 7-8 mins.
– Add enough EVOO to make up for the richness usually found in a mayo-based egg salad.
– Remove the seeds from the Calabrian chilies to add more flavor without too much heat.
Calabrian Egg Salad
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
6 large eggs
1 cup watercress, chopped, plus whole leaves for garnish
3-4 Calabrian chilies, seeds removed, minced
1 shallot, minced, plus thinly sliced rings for garnish
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB lemon zest
½ tsp cumin, ground
½ tsp onion powder
¼ cup olive oil
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 head bibb lettuce, broken up into cups
1. Add eggs to a pot with 1-2 inches of water; bring to a boil & cover, 6 mins. Strain & run the eggs under cold water.
2. Peel & transfer the eggs to a medium bowl. Mash to a chunky consistency.
3. Fold in watercress, chilies, minced shallot, lemon juice, lemon zest, cumin, onion powder & oil; season with salt & pepper.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl & garnish with a few small watercress leaves, shallot rings & black pepper. Serve the egg salad with bibb lettuce cups.
Cumin and Onion Powder never go out of style. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.