by The Culinistas
New recipe alert! We’ve been adding dishes to the Culinista menu, like this Chicken Tikka Masala, a British dish that traditionally utilized leftovers, and highlights Indian spices. Here, chicken is marinated in yogurt and then simmered in a spiced, creamy tomato sauce and we can’t get enough.
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Soni Sinha, our Indian cuisine consultant. We’ll be working with Soni to develop even more delicious dishes like the one pictured above, so stay tuned.
– The recipe calls for 3 cups of tomato puree, which is about one 28 oz can.
– Tomato products & oil “break” as they separate from the spices. The process is complete when the tomato product has caramelized & the oil is no longer emulsified.
Chicken Tikka Masala
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 30 mins
4 tsp ginger, peeled, grated
2 tsp cumin, ground
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp solstice blend
2 tsp garam masala, divided
1½ cups yogurt , divided
1½ lb chicken tenderloins, cut into 1½ inch pieces
3 TB olive oil
3 cups tomato puree
Cilantro, for garnish
- In a small bowl, mix ginger, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, onion powder & solstice blend.
- In a large bowl, ½ spice mixture, ¾ cup yogurt & 1 tsp garam masala. Add chicken & season with salt. Let the chicken marinate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Transfer chicken & yogurt marinade to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Broil until chicken is almost cooked all the way through & the yogurt is golden brown, 8-10 mins.
- In a heavy bottom pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add remaining ½ spice mixture & cook until fragrant, 1 min.
- Add tomato puree & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer until the tomato has broken from the oil, 8-10 mins.
- Add the broiled chicken & remaining ¾ cup yogurt. Bring to just under a boil; reduce heat & simmer until the chicken is tender, 20 mins.
- Stir in remaining 1 tsp garam masala.
- Transfer to a platter & drizzle with oil. Garnish with black pepper & cilantro.
Cumin, Cayenne, Onion Powder & Solstice Blend never go out of style. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.