by The Culinistas
A great bowl of pho is hard to forget. With this earthy Mushroom Pho recipe, you can create those memories right in your own kitchen. Are we getting mushy? Our love affair with mycelium and all their health benefits continues to grow, especially with the addition of fresh herbs and spices for a depth in flavor that will transport you a million miles away. Just remember to make enough to share.
– Cooking time may vary by brand of rice noodles. Remember to read the package & base cooking instructions on company guidance.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 45 minutes
¼ cup olive oil, divided
3 cups shiitake mushrooms, stems removed & reserved, chopped
3 cups oyster mushrooms, stems removed & reserved, chopped
1 bunch Swiss chard, stems removed & reserved, chopped
1 cup basil, for serving, stems removed & reserved
1 TB allspice berries
1 TB black peppercorns
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp cayenne
3 cardamom pods, crushed
1 box (8 oz) rice noodles
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup bean sprouts, for serving
2 serrano chilies, sliced, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving
1. Make a spiced broth: In a large pot, heat 2 TB oil over medium heat. Add mushroom stems, swiss chard stems, basil stems, allspice, black peppercorns, cumin, onion powder, cayenne, cardamom & 4 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer, 15 mins; strain & reserve the broth.
2. In the same pot, heat remaining 2 TB oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms & sauté until tender, 10 mins. Add Swiss chard & sauté until soft, 2-4 mins. Return broth to pot, simmer, 15 mins & season with salt & pepper.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, remove from heat & add noodles. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 4-8 mins. Drain & rinse under cold running water.
4. Serve pho with noodles, basil, bean sprouts, chilies & lime as optional additions.
Allspice, Cumin, Onion Powder & Cayenne never go out of style. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.