by The Culinistas
We’re more than happy to eat halibut just for the hell of it, but there are also plenty of great reasons this flaky white fish should be in your dinner rotation: It’s packed with vitamins and minerals, including selenium, niacin, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamins B12 and B6 and is an excellent fish alternative when you need a break from salmon.
In our Halibut with Lentil Pepper Ragout recipe, seared halibut gets paired with roasted red peppers and spiced lentils for a dish that’s hearty in all the right ways. It’s fancy-looking minus the fanfare when you feel like stepping dinner up a notch just for the halibut.
Halibut with Lentil Pepper Ragout
– If you prefer yellow lentils, buy yellow peppers to keep the dish monochromatic.
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 35 mins
Serves 2 to 4
2 red peppers, sliced
1 tsp cumin, ground, divided
¼ cup + 2 TB olive oil, divided
2 (8 oz) fillets halibut, skinned, pin bones removed
2 shallots, chopped
1 tsp onion powder
¾ tsp cayenne
½ tsp allspice, ground
½ cup red lentils
¼ cup parsley, plus more for garnish
1 TB lemon zest
2 TB lemon juice
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a medium pot over medium heat, sauté red peppers with ½ tsp cumin & 2 TB oil until soft, 7-10 mins. Set aside.
2. In the same pot over medium heat, sear halibut with 2 TB oil, 3-4 mins per side. Set aside.
3. In the same pot over medium heat, sweat shallots with remaining ½ tsp cumin, onion powder, cayenne, allspice & remaining 2 TB oil until soft, 4-5 mins. Add red lentils & toast, 3 more mins.
4. Add 1 cup water, cover & simmer, 10 mins. Add roasted red peppers, parsley, lemon zest & juice; simmer until lentils are soft, 5-10 more mins.
5. Spoon lentil ragout into shallow serving bowl & top with halibut. Garnish with parsley.
Cumin, Onion Powder, Cayenne & Allspice never goes out of style. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.