by The Culinistas
These Scallion Pancakes are to Chinese cuisine what Megan Thee Stallion is to rap: fresh and new yet instantly iconic. The secret to the beloved, flaky texture of these scallion pancakes is the double rolling technique when making the dough. And the sound of them sizzling away in the skillet is, well, music to our ears.
Recipe development in collaboration with Simone Tong.
– Balsamic vinegar can be used as an alternative to Chinkiang black vinegar.
– The secret to a smooth, easily workable dough is allowing it to rest. Be sure to follow rest time prompts.
– ”Creating a well” refers to pushing dry ingredients around the edge of the bowl and leaving space in the center to incorporate wet ingredients.
– Do not overstuff pancakes. When it comes to scallions & spices, a little goes a long way.
Prep Time 20 mins, plus 30 minutes resting time
Cook Time 15 mins
1½ cup all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
¾ cup water, divided
1 bu scallion, whites & greens divided, sliced
¼ cup tamari
2 TB Chinkiang black vinegar
3 TB grapeseed oil, divided
1½ tsp sesame chili
1 tsp umami blend
½ tsp Chinese five spice
1. Make dough: In a medium bowl, combine flour & salt; create a well in the center. In a small saucepan boil ½ cup water, combine with remaining ¼ cup cold water & pour into the well. Gently mix with a fork until a flaky dough forms. Knead with your hands to incorporate the flakes into one dough. Cover with a towel & rest, 20 mins.
2. Make dipping sauce: In a small bowl, combine the scallion whites with tamari & Chinkiang black vinegar. Set aside to steep.
3. Roll the pancakes: Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface, 2-5 mins. Divide into 6 even portions & knead each until a smooth ball is formed, about 1 min. Drizzle the portions with 1 TB grapeseed oil & let rest, 10 mins. Press a dough portion into an oblong oval, ¼ inch thick; sprinkle with scallion greens, sesame chili, umami blend & Chinese five spice. Looking at the dough horizontally, roll from top to bottom into a tube shape. Spiral the dough into itself in a pinwheel shape. Complete this process with each portion of dough.
4. Heat remaining 2 TB grapeseed oil in a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat. Working portion by portion, roll the dough with a pin until a ¼ inch thick pancake is shaped & place in the hot skillet. Cook until golden brown, 2-4 mins each side.
5. Transfer pancakes to a dish & serve with dipping sauce.
Sesame Chili, Umami Blend, Chinese Five Spice are the new spices on the block. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our addictive blends.