by The Culinistas
We’re still not over the fact that the creamiest pasta dish we’ve ever had…isn’t made with any cream at all. It isn’t made with any dairy for that matter. Shocked? We were, too.
The combination of marjoram oil and roasted red peppers create an alfredo-like sauce that even Ina would love. We’ve also thrown in a little broccoli rabe so you can get your greens while you’re at it.
The only other mystery left to solve is where did all those leftovers go?!
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
– Roast the peppers until they’re very soft to avoid a watery sauce.
– Blanch the rabe with a little bit of lemon; it will pull some bitterness from the greens.
– Completely ring out the broccoli rabe to avoid a watered down pasta.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 35 mins
Serves 6 to 8
¼ cup olive oil
1 TB marjoram
4 yellow bell peppers, halved & seeded
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp onion powder
½ lb pipette pasta
1 bunch broccoli rabe
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Make the marjoram oil: In a large pan, heat oil over low heat. Gently add marjoram & stir. When the oil is no longer bubbling, transfer the fried marjoram to a paper towel-lined plate & season with salt; reserve both oil & fried marjoram.
2. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
3. In a baking dish, toss bell peppers with garlic, cayenne, onion powder & 2 TB marjoram oil. Roast until tender, 20-25 mins. Cool.
4. In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta until tender, 8-10 mins. Strain & rinse under cold water.
5. In a pot of boiling, salted water, blanch broccoli rabe, 2-3 mins. Submerge broccoli in a bowl of ice water until completely cooled; drain & roughly chop.
6. Make the pepper sauce: In a high speed blender, blend a little more than half of the roasted bell peppers, garlic & remaining 2 TB marjoram oil.
7. Chop remaining peppers; mix with pasta & broccoli rabe. Dress to taste. Season with salt & pepper.
8. Garnish with fried marjoram.
Cayenne & Onion Powder never go out of style. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.