by The Culinistas
We’ve got nothing to hide: We love eating vegetables. And if you’re in a household with picky eaters, we will do everything we can to help them love their peas & carrots just as much as we do. Our Green Lasagna may be the most delicious way to start the journey.
Not only is this dish packed with peas and zucchini for growing bodies (and all bodies, for that matter), it’s also a good entry into spice appreciation: allspice, cayenne, onion powder & za’atar make this a next-level noodle dish. Here’s to making basic “kid friendly foods” green with envy.
– Make sure all pasta sheets are covered with oil so the pasta doesn’t dry out.
– You can blanch peas using the same water if you remove the pasta sheets with tongs instead of straining.
– Extra raw, thinly sliced zucchini could be further sliced into strips & quick pickled with lemon to be added to a salad. The slices could also be very lightly dusted with flour & fried.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
Serves 6 to 9
1 lb lasagna sheets
1½ cups peas
¼ cup basil, packed, plus more for garnish
½ cup olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing & drizzling
2 cups ricotta
1 TB lemon zest
¼ tsp allspice, ground
½ tsp cayenne
1 tsp onion powder
1 TB za’atar, plus more for garnish
2 zucchini, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta until tender, 8-10 mins. Strain & set aside.
3. In a new pot of boiling, salted water, blanch the peas until tender, 2-3 mins. Strain & shock in ice water until completely cooled. Strain again & completely dry the peas.
4. Make the basil oil: In a high speed blender, blend basil & 6 TB olive oil.
5. In a bowl, mix ricotta, lemon zest, allspice, cayenne, onion powder, za’atar & remaining 2 TB oil. Season with salt & pepper.
6. Assemble the lasagna: In a greased 9×13 inch baking dish, spread a thin layer of basil oil; top with pasta sheets, zucchini, ricotta & peas. Repeat the layers until the baking dish is full & the majority of components are used up. Shingle zucchini on top, season with za’atar & drizzle with oil.
7. Bake lasagna, 35-40 minutes; cool & slice. Garnish with basil leaves.
Allspice, Cayenne, Onion Powder & Za’atar are a chef’s secret. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.