by The Culinistas
The verdict is in: Our RGC is hands down a client favorite and we have no objections, your honor. It’s packed with flavor, packed with veggies, and can hold court any night of the week when it comes to dinner.
Roasted garlic gets tucked under the chicken’s skin and seared in a cast iron skillet with herb oil. Turnips and spinach join the party for a one pan dinner that will please even the toughest crowd. Justice is served.
RGC (Roasted Garlic Chicken)
– If you cannot find Japanese turnips, use a variety of other tubers.
– Add 2-3 oz of water to the pan with the spinach to wilt if necessary.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 50 mins
Serves 4 to 6
1 head garlic
¼ cup + 2 TB olive oil, divided
2 sprigs + 2 TB rosemary, minced
2 sprigs + 2 TB sage, minced
4 chicken breasts, skin on, boneless
1 lb white Japanese turnips, halved
4 cups spinach, packed
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Slice ¼ inch from the top of the garlic head. Place the head on foil & drizzle with 2 TB oil. Enclose & roast, 45-60 mins. Let cool & squeeze the cloves from the skin. Set aside.
3. Make herb oil: In a large pan, heat remaining ¼ cup oil over medium heat. Gently add sage & rosemary sprigs. When the oil is no longer bubbling, transfer the fried herbs to a paper towel-lined plate & season with salt; reserve the herb oil.
4. Reduce oven heat to 350ºF.
5. Mash minced herbs with roasted garlic; rub garlic mixture under chicken skin.
6. In a cast iron or oven safe skillet over medium heat, sear chicken with herb oil, 4-5 mins per side. Remove from pan.
7. Add turnips & sear, 5-7 mins; add spinach & wilt, 2-3 mins.
8. Return chicken to the skillet & finish cooking in oven, 15 mins. Rest & slice.
9. On a large serving platter, plate vegetables & nestle chicken on top. Or serve in skillet. Garnish with fried sage & rosemary. Season with salt & pepper.