by The Culinistas
Got leftover apples from Rosh Hashanah last week? Or from your first of the season apple picking outing? We’ve got just the dish for you: Apple. Pear. Crisp. We can smell it coming out of the oven already.
Rolled oats and a hit of our warm, earthy allspice and solstice blend top a variety of apples and pears for a dessert (or breakfast, we don’t judge) that will make you remember why September makes coming down from summer easy. Top it all off with a scoop of your favorite caramel — the icing on the, ahem, crisp.
Apple Pear Crisp with Ice Cream
– Chop the apples a little thick so they hold up during baking.
– We are partial to caramel ice cream here.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 1 hour
Serves 4 to 6
4 cups rolled oats, divided
2½ cups turbinado sugar, divided
2 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice, ground
1 tsp solstice blend
1 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
3 gala apples, chopped
3 granny smith apples, chopped
3 pink lady apples, chopped
2 bartlett pear, chopped
1 bosc pear, chopped
Ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a high speed blender, grind 2 cups rolled oats into a coarse flour.
3. In a large bowl, whisk oat flour with remaining whole oats, 1½ cups sugar, salt, allspice & solstice blend. Add melted butter & mix until mixture develops a sandy consistency.
4. In a separate large bowl, combine apples, pears & remaining 1 cup sugar. Transfer the fruit mixture to a greased 8×8 inch baking dish; top with oat mixture.
5. Bake the crisp until the fruit is soft & topping is golden brown, 60-75 mins. Cool slightly & serve with ice cream.
Allspice and Solstice are a chef’s secret weapons for anything sweet. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.