by The Culinistas
It’s tough to beat a Chicken Parm: crispy cutlets topped with a tangy tomato sauce all under a gooey layer of mozz. We’re hungry just thinking about it. Throw any leftovers between a nice piece of garlic bread the next day and you’ve got the best lunch on the block.
Short on time? Make the sauce ahead and store for those nights when you want something delicious but don’t feel like running to the store or ordering takeout. If you’re in a dinner pinch this dish always works like a charm.
– Leave the edges of the cutlets without sauce for a crispy textural contrast.
– To reheat, preheat oven to 350ºF. If reheating just some of the dish, transfer the desired amount onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Reheat the chicken parm until the cutlet is warmed all the way through & the cheese is melted, 10-15 mins.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
Serves 2 to 4
1½ cups + 2 TB olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
¼ cup onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp cayenne
1 (28 oz) can tomato puree
2 (1 lb) chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
½ cup all purpose flour
2 eggs, whisked
2 cups panko
12 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Make the tomato sauce: In a saucepan, heat 2 TB oil over medium heat. Add onion & sweat until translucent, 5-6 mins.
2. Add garlic, onion powder & cayenne; cook until fragrant, 1 min.
3. Add the tomato puree & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer the tomato sauce until slightly thickened, 15-20 mins. Season with salt & pepper.
4. Make the cutlets: Cut the chicken in half crosswise & pound into 4 very thin cutlets with a mallet. Season with salt & pepper.
6. In a large pan, heat ¾ cup oil over medium heat.
7. While the oil heats, bread the chicken: Dredge 2 of the cutlets in flour & shake off any excess. Dip the cutlets in whisked eggs & shake off any excess. Transfer the cutlets to the panko mixture & coat on all sides. Gently shake off any excess; pan fry until golden brown & the chicken is cooked all the way through, 3-4 mins per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; season with salt & pepper. Discard oil & repeat the process with the remaining cutlets.
8. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
9. Assemble the chicken parm: In a 9×13 oven safe baking dish, arrange the cutlets. Spoon the tomato sauce down the middle of the cutlets & shingle mozzarella slices on top. Bake until the cutlets are warmed all the way through & the cheese has melted, 15 mins.
10. Adjust the oven settings to broil. Broil until golden brown, 3-5 mins. Drizzle with oil & season with pepper.
Cayenne and Onion Powder are a chef’s secret weapons. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.