by The Culinistas
We will sing the praises of beans all day: they’re packed with protein, high in fiber and low in fat. Plus, they’re hearty enough to stand in as a main any night of the week.
Here, we give beans (and shiitakes) the Mediterranean treatment by spicing them up with cayenne, onion powder and za’atar. Tarragon and lemon make these brothy beans just what the doctor ordered on a crisp fall day.
Za’atar Braised Beans & Mushrooms
– If using dried beans, soak in water overnight & cook until soft before proceeding with the recipe.
– Add only enough water when cooking down beans to make them slightly saucy.
– Do not over mix the beans or they will break down & not hold their shape.
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
1 lb shiitake mushrooms, chopped
3 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 TB olive oil
1 can cannellini beans
½ tsp cayenne
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp za’atar
1 TB tarragon, roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB lemon peel, julienned
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a large pan over medium heat, sear shiitakes with scallions & oil until soft, 5-7 mins. Remove from pan.
2. In same pan over medium heat, add cannellini beans, cayenne, onion powder, za’atar & ½ cup water; cook down, 10 mins. Add tarragon & season with lemon juice, salt & pepper.
3. Transfer beans to a shallow serving bowl & top with shiitakes. Garnish with tarragon & julienned lemon peel.
Cayenne, Onion Powder & Za’atar are a chef’s secret weapons. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.