by The Culinistas
We’ve never met a roasted carrot we didn’t like tbh. But these Roasted Carrots & Dates we don’t just like, we love. In fact, it was love at first bite. The perfect couple really. We could go on and on.
The secret to a successful carrot and date marriage is all about the date-and-sumac dressing, which gets drizzled on top of a heaping bed of fall veg, including loose Brussels leaves for added texture. Throw in some poppy seeds (a totally underrated ingredient) and you’ve got your happily ever after in less than 45 minutes.
Roasted Carrots & Dates
– 2 pounds is equivalent to about 10 medium carrots.
– Consistency of the dressing should be loose enough to just coat the back of a spoon. Add the reserved water incrementally.
– Make sure to add plenty of salt & sumac to this dish to balance out the sweetness.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
Serves 4 to 6
2 lb carrots, cut thick on a bias
2 onions, sliced into thick wedges
½ tsp allspice, ground
¼ cup olive oil, divided
10 dates, pitted, sliced, divided
1 tsp sumac, plus more for garnish
½ lb Brussels sprouts
¼ cup poppy seeds, toasted
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. In a medium bowl, toss carrots & onions with allspice & 2 TB oil. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet & roast, 25-30 mins.
3. Cover 5 dates with warm water & soak, 10 mins; strain. Reserve dates & water.
4. Make the date dressing: In a high speed blender, blend soaked dates, sumac, remaining 2 TB oil & 2-3 TB date soaking water. Season with salt & pepper.
5. Trim & peel the Brussels. Peel apart the leaves.
6. In a large serving bowl, mix roasted carrots & onions, remaining 5 dates, Brussels leaves & poppy seeds. Dress to taste & garnish with sumac.
Allspice & Sumac are a chef’s secret weapons. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.