by The Culinistas
Cauliflower lives many lives, sometimes as a pizza crust or even disguised as gnocchi. But our favorite way to highlight it is as the star of one of our side dishes, in particular our Cashew Cauliflower Rice. Your “rice” gets mixed with a power blend of apricots, cashews, harissa and urfa for a dish that’s light on carbs and heavy on flavor.
There are multiple ways to “rice” your cauliflower. A food processor works best, but if you have only a blender, add chopped cauliflower & cover completely with water. Pulse the mixture until the cauliflower is a “riced” texture. Strain & shake out the excess water. If you don’t have a food processor or blender to rice the cauliflower, use a cheese grater & grate the cauliflower on the coarsest side.
Cashew Cauliflower Rice
– 1 head of cauliflower will yield about 4 cups. If it’s a small head, buy 2.
– Different brands of harissa will have varying degrees of spiciness. Add half of the amount of harissa that the recipe calls for at first, then add more to taste.
– If you have lemon or lime on hand, add some zest to taste.
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
¼ cup dried apricots, chopped, plus more for garnish
2 TB olive oil
1 medium head cauliflower, riced (about 4 cups)
3 TB harissa
1 TB urfa, plus more for garnish
3 cups spinach
¼ cup cashews, roasted, chopped, plus more for garnish
¼ cup chives, chopped, plus more for garnish
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a small bowl, soak dried apricots in warm water, 10 mins; strain water.
2. In a large pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add cauliflower & sauté, 8-12 mins.
3. Add harissa & urfa; cook until aromatic, 1-2 mins.
4. Add dried apricots, spinach, cashews & chives; cook until aromatic & spinach has wilted, 2-3 mins. Season with salt & pepper.
5. Transfer to a shallow bowl & garnish with dried apricots, urfa, cashews & chives.
Urfa is a chef’s secret weapon. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.