by The Culinistas
Hosting ain’t easy but your canapes absolutely should be. Our fave is this Apple Ricotta Toast. It’s ready in just about 30 minutes and the components can be made ahead, leaving you plenty of time to get ready for guests and ready to party.
Here, toasty bread gets topped with whipped ricotta and a spiced apple mixture that is sweet, savory and seasonal in the best ways. Each toast gets topped with an addictive mint vinaigrette. Make extra and up your salad game during the week.
Apple Ricotta Toast
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Serves 6 to 8
– Make sure toast is not cut too thick or it will be hard to eat.
– Mint sauce should be lemon forward.
– Sautéed apples should be savory; this dish can easily get too sweet so make sure to balance by heavily seasoning the sautéed apple with spice.
½ loaf whole grain sourdough bread, sliced ¼ inch thick
½ cup olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
3 pink lady apples, divided
¾ tsp cumin, ground, divided
¼ tsp allspice, ground
¼ tsp cayenne
1 cup whole milk ricotta
3 TB lemon juice, divided
3 tsp lemon zest, divided
½ cup mint, plus more for garnish
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
Sumac, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Toast the bread: Lay the slices of bread on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; season with salt & pepper. Toast until golden brown, 7-10 mins.
3. Chop 1½ cups apples. In a large pan, heat 2 TB oil over medium heat. Add chopped apples, ½ tsp cumin, allspice & cayenne. Season with salt & pepper. Sauté until tender, 5-6 mins.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk ricotta with salt & pepper until light & airy, 1-2 mins.
5. Thinly slice remaining apples to batons. In a separate bowl, mix sautéed apples, sliced apples, 2 TB oil, 2 TB lemon juice & 2 tsp lemon zest. Set aside.
6. Make the mint vinaigrette: In a high speed blender, blend remaining ¼ tsp cumin, remaining 1 TB lemon juice, remaining 1 tsp lemon zest & mint. While the motor is running, stream in remaining ¼ cup oil. Season with salt & pepper.
7. On each slice of bread, spread a spoonful of whipped ricotta. Top with apple mixture & dress with vinaigrette to taste. Garnish with mint, sumac & black pepper.
Cumin, Allspice, Sumac & Cayenne are a chef’s secret weapons. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.