by The Culinistas
Cauliflower mac. A veg-provoking twist on an American classic, our Cauliflower Mac & Cheese is a fun & easy recipe to make with your kids or your own siblings during the holidays. We are just waiting for the branding people to come up with a veggie word for creamy.
Our pro tip: Double up & devour. Save the leftovers for a late night NYE snack and top with caviar. This is the ideal vehicle for briny bubbles of osetra flava.
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves 8 to 10
– Cauliflower sauce should be a béchamel cheese consistency, creating a thick coat on the back of a spoon.
2 TB olive oil
1 small head cauliflower, chopped
1½ tsp onion powder, divided
1 cup whole milk
2 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated, divided
½ tsp allspice, ground
8 oz elbow macaroni
1 cup panko
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Sweat cauliflower & 1 tsp onion powder until cauliflower is extremely soft, 15-20 mins. Season with salt & pepper. Let cool slightly.
3. Working in batches, blend the sauce: In a high speed blender, blend cauliflower with milk & 1 cup water until smooth. Fold in 1½ cups cheddar & allspice. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
4. In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta until tender, 8-10 mins. Strain & rinse under cold water.
5. In a large bowl, combine sauce & pasta. Transfer the mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
6. In a small bowl, mix remaining ½ tsp onion powder, remaining ½ cup cheddar & panko. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly on top of the macaroni. Bake for 30-35 mins. 7. Broil until golden brown, 3-5 mins. Let cool, 5 mins & serve.
Onion Powder & Allspice are a chef’s secret weapons. Check out our eComm shop to purchase our favorite brand.