by The Culinistas
COVID may have closed your local steakhouse, but you can still serve up a fierce filet at home with this dish answering all your prayers. Our filet is peppered with flavor and topped with a classic sauce made of parsley, lemon zest, and garlic.
This meaty favorite works well with both rich & light sides. For a steakhouse style pairing, make our creamed kale, or for lighter fare, try our farm fresh lettuces & herbs. Pro tip: this herb sauce can stay refrigerated in an airtight container for 7-10 days; it is a great addition to salads, spooned onto fried eggs or tossed into pasta.
Peppercorn Crusted Filet Mignon
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves 2 to 4
– A medium rare steak will have an internal temperature of 130ºF; this temperature will be achieved with the noted cooking time. Adjust this cooking time in the oven to reach a desired doneness beyond medium rare.
– One lemon typically produces 1 TB of zest & ¼ cup of juice.
2 TB mixed peppercorns, crushed
1 tsp urfa
1 tsp finishing pepper
1 lb filet mignon, trimmed & cut into 2-4 servings
¼ cup + 2 TB olive oil, divided
1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
1 lemon, zest & juice
1 clove garlic
Salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
2. To a shallow dish, add peppercorns, urfa & finishing pepper; stir to combine. Generously season each filet with salt & press in pepper mixture to evenly coat.
3. In a heavy bottom, oven safe sauté pan over high heat, add 2 TB oil. Add steak & sear to a deep brown color, 4 mins. Flip & sear, 4 more mins.
4. Transfer steak to the oven until cooked to desired temperature, about 5-7 mins. Let rest for 5 mins & slice against the grain.
5. While the steak cooks, make gremolata: In the base of a high speed blender, add parsley, lemon, garlic, remaining oil & salt to taste. Blend until a chunky sauce comes together.
6. Serve steak with gremolata on the side.