by The Culinistas
Introducing the ultimate midweek nosh: Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake. The addition of Greek yogurt & zucchini allows this cake to double as a nutritious snacking option, with a mouthwatering chocolate experience in every bite.
Our co-founder Jill’s favorite, this veggie-packed snack is rich but airy, free of gluten, and most importantly, beaded with chocolate chips. She usually “doesn’t even like chocolate.” We know: that part is weird. Her pro tip? The more thoroughly you squeeze out the zucchini, the more veg you can pack into this bread. Use 5% yogurt or labneh for extra shiny, moist cake.
Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 50 mins
Makes 1 loaf
– Use a tea towel or paper towels to squeeze zucchini dry. Removing excess moisture will prevent the loaf from becoming soggy.
– To make this dish dairy free, swap yogurt with applesauce.
– After baking for 50 minutes, insert a skewer into the loaf to see if it’s finished. If it comes out clean, remove the loaf from the oven. If the batter is wet on the skewer, continue to cook in 5 minute increments until fully baked.
– For extra sweetness, add vanilla or cinnamon.
1 ½ cup Greek yogurt
1 cup brown sugar
2 cup zucchini, grated & squeezed dry
1 cup oat flour
1 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt¾ cup chocolate chips, plus more for topping
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF.
2. In a medium bowl, add yogurt, eggs, brown sugar & zucchini. Mix well to combine.
3. Add oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder & salt. Gently stir to combine. Add chocolate chips & gently stir to combine.
4. Transfer to a parchment-lined loaf pan & top with chocolate chips.
5. Bake until the bread is completely cooked through, 40-50 mins. Let the bread cool, 10 mins in the pan, then remove & rest on a rack until completely cooled.