by The Culinistas
It’s no secret that we’re olive oil fanatics here at The Culinistas. But what is it we love so much about olive oil?
Our answer is simple: The taste & the health benefits.
This luscious liquid fat is obtained from olives and is most commonly used for cooking, frying, or as a dressing on salads. We even like to integrate it into our baked goods, like our Chocolate Olive Oil Cake.
Here are the facts.
- It’s rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, which help to lower your “bad” LDL cholesterol.
- It contains antioxidants, which reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- It helps to fight inflammation.
Every olive oil’s flavor profile will differ slightly depending on its ingredients and place of origin.
We are ok playing favorites because The Culinistas have an olive oil of our own. A collaboration with Kosterina, this EVOO hails from Greece and each bottle is made from 12 pounds of early harvest, cold-pressed Koroneiki olives. The timing and region in which the olives are harvested give it higher than average polyphenol (an anti-inflammatory antioxidant) content, meaning Kosterina batches are heart healthy & blood pressure and cholesterol reducing.
If you want to learn more about Kosterina, check out our interview with co-founder, Katerina Mountanous, here. You can also shop our smooth & peppery olive oil 3 pack (500ml each), which will last you through one month of roasting, searing, dressing and drizzling as a finishing oil.
P.S. Our Welcome Kit now comes with not one, but two, bottles of our Kosterina olive oil. This starter kit includes ten dishwasher-safe glass containers, nine essential spices, and these two beautiful 2 bottles of our EVOO.
Whether you’ve vowed to cook more or want to give a bottle as a gift, we firmly believe you should always have a bottle on hand.
- Oracle is a premium Greek extra virgin olive oil made from 100% organic Koroneiki olives.
- What we love about the brand: They transport ancient culinary traditions into the modern kitchen.
- Oilladi is an authentic Greek-inspired extra virgin olive oil made from traditionally cultivated, hand-picked, and cold-extracted Manaki olives which contribute to its buttery taste.
- What we love about this brand: They’re a family-owned, small batch brand that has been cultivating olive groves for generations.
- Wonder Valley is extra virgin California olive oil that elevates every meal through bright, herbaceous, and peppery flavors. This olive oil is even used as a hero ingredient in their unisex skincare collection.
- What we love about the brand: Their dual approach to EVOO, offering rich flavors at the crossroads of holistic healing.